Re: avahi-daemon

Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña schrieb:

>If I were you (aliban) I would bug rhythmbox. It seems that Bug #349478 got
>it to reduce the Depends: on that daemon to a Recommends:, I think it would
>be better to have that as Suggests:
>Disclaimer: I don't know much about rhythmbox and the relationship of ahavi-daemon
>
>I agree with Michael Stone in that the dependecy chain here might be a
>problem in the long run.
>
>Maintainers remember: it's much better to *not* install/activate a network
>service than to have a service, even if it's chrooted, or running under lower
>privileges (like the ahavi maintainers describe in
>https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MainInclusionReportAvahi) which, BTW, is not that
>common. The keyword here is 'exposure'.

I am sorry, but I am quite new linux and debian at all and you may excuse my question:

why is there no rule to "prompt the user" for all applications that open ports on non-localhost?

I guess in most cases these services will be configured afterwards anyway to fit
admin's needs. In example if you install apache (I did not do so, maybe it is
prompting:) why shouldn't the install script ask what interfaces to bind to?

On my 'default' system I would not want any open ports at all :/, do you?

Or do you think I am paranoid?