Re: securing /var/www or web content

Olivier,

How is that going to solve the problem?
His user doesn't have /var/www as a home ; the issue is /var/www is
world-readable/writeable/executable.

The files in your /var/www should strictly speaking only be accessible to
your webserver ; for apache usually www-data or apache or httpd accounts
should have rwx permissions.
Grep for these in /etc/passwd if unsure which one to use.

You could then set the permissions to xy0 for /var/www with chmod.
Test, if your site doesn't funtion adequately anymore, set the permissions
for "other" to "r"(4) only.
So for instance: chmod -R 770 www-data:www-data (www-data is the account
under which the apache daemon runs on Debian).

Check out: man chmod
man chrgrp

Have fun

Roger