Re: Encrypting drive

On 200707091624, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Monday 02 July 2007 11:35, Anders Breindahl <skrewz@skrewz.dk> wrote:
> > (However, on a reasonably recent system, you still will be
> > bottlenecked by Fast Ethernet at 100Mb/s).
>
> Where "reasonably fast" means faster than a 3GHz P4.  A 3GHz P4 system I was
> working on recently appeared to be limited to 4MB/s, if it wasn't for the
> fact that the machine is about to be decommissioned then I would probably
> investigate this further as the performance is lower than expected.

Funny. I get 4 MB/s of AES256 on an 850MHz P3. And >11MB/s on a 3500+
AMD Sempron. And well above that when using VIA Padlock on another
system.  Are you certain that you're not bottlenecked by some other
problem?

> > However, if you should choose to encrypt only, say /home, you'd need to
> > make sure that data won't ``sieve'' onto the unencrypted parts of the
> > system, such as /tmp or swap space.
>
> True.  But the advantage to encrypting only some partitions is that you can
> get better performance for non-secret data.

If you're stuck with 4MB/s as transfer speed, you could consider
security trade-offs for performance. But in a faster scenario, I
wouldn't opt for it.

Regards, skrewz.