Re: Changing the "Reply-To:" for debian-security-announce

Alexander Wirt <formorer@formorer.de> wrote:

> Because people expect that they can answer a DSA.

Okay, but what's the point? If someone has something valuable to say in
response to a DSA:

  1) he can find the debian-security list;

  2) if he replies to the -announce list and gets a bounce because the
     Reply-To address is invalid, he should eventually get to point 1
     himself, otherwise I fear he can't write anything really
     interesting... And to mitigate the "problem", The Reply-To address
     can give a hint, like this:

      dont-reply-to-this-list-subscribe-to-debian-security-instead@invalid

Because this kind of stupid traffic considerably reduces the list's
signal to noise ratio[1], therefore making sacrifices just so that
dumb/careless/overly lazy/egoistic users can reply to DSAs *without any
effort* is counter-productive IMHO—all the more since many of them are
likely not to be able to even read the answers, being only be subscribed
to debian-security!

(sorry if I sound elitist here, just being pragmatic...)

Regards

  [1] Which is self-amplified, because smart/knowledgeable people with
      hard time constraints are then likely to unsubscribe or read the
      list too fast if they are used to mostly see noise there.

--
Florent