Re: the frustrated administrivia and misdirection hose lacks any abatement visible to mortals

On 5/24/16, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 4:28 AM, Drake Wilson wrote:
>
>> Lacking any obvious way to talk to the security team without potentially
>> making my
>> message look more urgent than it was, I leave it to whoever else can
>> navigate the
>> Debian social structure to take it up in the most appropriate manner.
>> I've absolutely run
>> out of nerves for having to clear this garbage out of my mailpile, so I'm
>> done here.
>
> Two of the security team members responded to the bug report:
>
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=821113#25
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=821113#20
>
> So the only thing that needs doing now is for the listmasters to
> implement the suggestions.

A very... unscientific.. and unhumble.. observation from years of web
surfing since 1994 is that I've only seen something of this type and
magnitude one other time. It occurred over at W3C (World Wide Web
Consortium). I mostly remember that because I remember making some
kind of observation about that instance a few years ago now..

This feels rather... "organized".

In the other instance, the organized effort was about getting web
domains listed in permanent W3C archives that are searched by crawlers
(spiders). Here, though, I don't know.

It's not about domains this time. It's interesting it's going after
Debian's security list(s). Like it's somehow trying to send a message
that.... Debian's being bailed on related to that topic...

Wandering off now wondering out loud... the percentage of people who
have contacted the list in the manner that prompted this particular
thread. Is that a normal unsubscribe ratio compared to all other
Debian lists?

Yes, I "get it", I understand that this scenario is that it's about a
list redirect that some are not catching....

But a notable some of those some... are tech savvy enough to know how
to read email headers to snag the unsubscribe email address regardless
of any given listserv's setup. That's the first place they go before
then exhausting other options (e.g. a list's homepage) bearing that
info. Most unhumbly, the number posting publicly here indicating they
do not know that technique... sure seems mathematically unordinary for
lists of this caliber.

Really wandering off now....

Cindy :)

--