Re: Free Java : is native code the way?

Moin Stephane Bortzmeyer,

> This withdraws a serious objection against Java ("Java is not really free
> since we depend on Sun's virtual machine") and another one against XML ("All
> the XML software is written in Java and therefore not really free").

  Well to contradict your sentence:
  	The only GPLed XML/EDIFACT parser is written in Perl5.

  I've used Java before (an applet for for Imperium Games) and I realy liked
  that compiled applets can be extremly short, when written by a bitkiller
  who knows to design OO. I've also patched in Kaffe in the hope, that
  Kaffe would provide a free Java. But Kaffe is always one step behind,
  of course (comparable to WINE and Windows), of course. Even worse Java
  is intended to break free software on the Unix environment. Free software
  has traditionaly grown on Unix Systems, because anything that is ported
  to yet an other unix has to become compiled. Java/Unix provides a binary
  compatibily, comparable to the M$/Intel in intended effect.

  Ok to be more constructive: It should be imho possible to let Java,
  Python and Perl people pull on the same rope. I'm playing with the
  idea of a SAX proyx that would be language independ. If anybody likes
  to share the idea - drop me a note. Extreamly usefull would be people,
  who are doing real work with JavaSAX or PythonSAX, to test things with
  real life XML.

Bye Michael
--
  mailto:kraehe@copyleft.de     	UNA:+.? 'CED+2+:::Linux:1.2:13'UNZ+1'