Re: Success story: potato on Sparc Classic

Phil Brutsche wrote:
> A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far way, someone said...
>
> [snip]
> > Oh, something different: what kind of memory does a Classic need? It
> > currently has 24MB installed, and I have a couple of 8MB 60 and 70 ns 72
> > pins PC SIMMs, but I'm not sure if it needs fast page mode or EDO SIMMs.
> > I'm also not sure if a Classic really needs parity memory.
>
> It's my understanding that late Sun4c's (IPX and maybe sparctation 2) and
> early Sun4m's (like your Classic) will take parity fast page mode 72 pin
> 60 ns PC sims, but that PC simms can't be mixed with Sun simms (apparently
> Sun simms are 33 bit and PC simms are 36 bit)

It's no problem mixing them.  I've installed 2x 16MB FPM 36 bits and 4x 4MB FPM
33 bits on my SparcClassic.  Just to make sure they are fast page mode, 60ns
and 33 or 36 bits (they were not so common in the PC world).

Regards.

--
 Eric Delaunay                 | S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y
 delaunay@lix.polytechnique.fr | a pas de problème.   Devise Shadok.