Re: worrying about sparc/alpha boot floppies

Steve Dunham wrote:
> Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > On 29 Jan 1999, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> >

> > > I'm a little worried that we don't have up-to-date boot-floppies for
> > > Alpha and Sparc.  Is there a plan to release these platforms a little
> > > later than the x86 (and m68k?) release date?
>
> > Eric Delaunay (sp?) is working on sparc boot-floppies.
>
> I believe he is working on a CDROM image too.  Eric, are you still
> planning on making the CDROM boot on all sparc machines?  I think the
> best plan would be:
>
>   get the sparc64 kernel/module images from me
>   build the sparc and sparc64 resc/drv images and CDROM image
>   Verify that the CDROM works on "sparc" architectures
>   Let me download the CDROM, burn it onto a CD/RW and verify on sparc64
>    systems.

Hmm, problem: I will be able to download your kernel/module images then build
the CDROM at home.  I will even be able to try it on my old sparcs (sparc2 &
sparcclassic) but neither I will be able to try it on ultrasparcs (no one on
hand) nor I can upload the CD images (too big so far).

I will try to upload new bootdisks next week and fix the slink_cd package for
sparc.  Then I hope you will download them to build the CDROM yourself.

Regards.