Re: Silo

Steve McIntyre <stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, M.C. Vernon wrote:
>
> >	I need this to make sparc images, but it doesn't seem to be
> >available for the i386 architecture. Is it worth grabbing it and building
> >it; or will it not work at all?

> I honestly don't know myself. Anybody?

You can't build silo on i386.  There is a program somewhere called
"intelsilo", but it's not in debian, and it might need tweaking to
work.  Also, you must use the "second.b" file from the silo in
incoming, or the CD will fail to boot on a large subset of machines.

I'm now set up to generate CD Images.  I mirrored master today, and
generated a set of CD images.  The file sizes are:

slink1.raw 309188608
slink2.raw 676298752
slink5.raw 391374848

I'm going to tweak the slink1.useful list to push the bulk of the main
packages onto the first CD.  (I'm not sure why so few packages are
going onto the first CD...)

I still want the packages in incoming (kernel-* and silo-*) to make it
into the archive before making the final images, and Eric said he was
going to do a final run of boot floppies on Monday.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu