Re: Can I update the sparc glibc?

Chris Trainor <christr@macross.com> writes:

> On 19 Dec 1998, Steve Dunham wrote:
>
> > other than bash installed as /bin/sh?  (I've using bash_2.01.1-4.1 on
> > both machines.)
> > I'm guessing that the the three pairs of errors are emitted by bash
> > when running dpkg.prerm, dpkg.preinst and dpkg.postinst.

> That makes sense, unfortunally I have current version of all packages on
> the system.  My last update before putting your stuff in was on December
> 15th.

Are you sure?  I don't know if anything other than by stuff has
changed since then.

> > Let me know what version of bash you have installed, if it's an older
> > version, try the current one.  If not, tell me what kernel, readline,
> > and ncurses packages you have installed.

> GNU bash, version 2.01.1(1)-release (sparc-unknown-linux-gnu)

I was kinda hoping for the version and release number of the Debian
package.

> ncurses-base_4.2-3   nucurses-bin_4.2-2

  dpkg -l libreadlineg2 libncurses4 bash man-db libdb2

> kernel 3.0.35   and I don't know what readline is. :)

I hope this isn't a problem.  I'm not sure how to test this.  The
2.0.35 kernel won't boot on my SparcStation 20.

> I also just found that man dosn't work. :)

Damn.  You'll have to describe the exact problems, before I can
determine whether it is man, nroff, less, or something else.  (They
work on my system.)

Try:

  zcat /usr/man/man1/ls.1.gz | nroff -man | less

(I assume everything was working before you upgraded from glibc
2.0.100 to glibc 2.0.105?)

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu