Re: Floppy Installation on Sparcstation 1

Ashok Gopalakrishnan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I apologize for reposting. There were no responses to my earlier
> message so I thought I would try again.
>
> I am trying to install debian on a sparcstation 1 with 16MB of RAM.
> >From ftp.debian.org, in the directory
> pub/debian/dists/unstable/main/disks-sparc/1998-12-07, I downloaded
> the files base14-1.bin thru base14-2.bin, resc1440.bin, drv1440.bin
> and root.bin. Using rawrite2, I copied these to floppies.
>
> I then booted the sparc with the 'boot floppy' command and at the SILO
> boot prompt, entered '/fd;/linux' to start the process. After
> uncompressing the kernel image and detecting the hardware on the
> machine, I am prompted to insert the root floppy and press enter. When
> I do this however, the kernel panics, saying that it cannot mount the
> root files system. Here are the exact messages:

> Partition check:
>    sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4 sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8
>    sdb: sdb1 sdb2 sdb3 sdb4 sdb5 sdb6 sdb7 sdb8
> floppy 0: Warning disk change called early
> VFS: Insert root floppy and press enter
>
> Upon inserting the root floppy and pressing enter:
>
> vfs_read_super: bad magic number 0xf1f9e4ad on dev 2/0
> kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 2:00
> Press L1-A to return to the boot prom

Are you sure the root.bin file was written without errors on your floppy disk?
Can you read back out then try to compare it or gunzip it to test its
integrity?
Another suggestion: have you tried new floppy medium?
Hmm, how many memory your sparc1 has?

I'm sorry I don't have access to a sparc1 to try my bootdisks on it.

> Now, while the release notes talk about using root1440.bin, I could
> find only root.bin in the above ftp directory. Could this be a
> problem? Also, while I am able to mount the resc1440 and drv1440
> floppies as ext2 filesystems, I am not able to mount the root floppy
> as ext2. Is this correct behaviour?

root.bin is ext2 fs but the whole image was gziped. Just gunzip it before.

Thanks in advance.