Still trying to build an i386->sparc cross-compiler

I have been having an extremely bad time with this. I can't even get the
i386->m68k cross-compiler (gcc-m68k-linux) to compile. If it did compile,
I could just edit the control and rules files to make it build to sparc.
I believe I've had two open bugs against the package so far. And I'm very
interested in how the heck it compiles in the Potato or Woody autobuilder,
or if it even has been. MD5sums for the Slink and the Woody version match,
so I'm betting the Woody and Potato versions were built on Slink.

Meanwhile, would someone who has built and uses a cross-compiler be
willing to help me build one from scratch?