IDE Ultra 10's

I did a few searches on the archives of the list, but I haven't been able to find anything threads on this....

The company I work for has a number of Ultra10's, circa 1998 with IDE harddrives and CDROMs, and ATI 8bit graphics. I have 2.2r0 sparc CD's. I can run through the install until the reboot with only 1 problem. When I try to initialize the swap partition, it fails. Otherwise I get no errors installing the base system, running silo, etc...

However after the reboot it fails to boot. The error I get is:

the file loaded does not appear to be executable

and it drops to the ok prompt.

The first time I did it I didn't notice the swap errors because they flash so quickly. I'll try using some fresh bootdisks next week. (I'm going home in a few hours.)

I had a set of 2.1r2 and I installed the base system, then added a 2.2 kernel and did a dist-upgrade. That worked fine except for perl, I got stuck with somekind of weird dependency problem, where I had perl-5.004, and it wanted perl-5.005. It couldn't back out of the
5.005 upgrade, but it would not fully install 5.005 either.

The weird part is, althrough I could reboot 2.1 and upgrade it to 2.2 (ignoring the perl problem) I still could not make swap partitions on the drives. In dbbootstrap the "initialize a swap partition" process would fail and trying it by-hand also failed.

The same 2.2r0 CD's work fine on sparc IPXs and a sparc-classic (all with scsi drives).