Re: Help with Sparc

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 08:46:57PM -0800, Curt Howland wrote:
> Good evening. Please reply directly, as I cannot keep up with the
> traffic on debian-user.

So subscribe to debian-sparc :-)

> I'm trying to install Debian Woody on a Sparc. I have successfully
> gotten the cdrom to boot, but the boot ceases after a little while with
> the following:
>
> -----
> Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.
> VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
> floppy0: WARNING disk change called early
> VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER
> -----
>
> so... I did the dd creation of a 1.44M floppy with the only root.bin
> that is on the CDROM image, put it in the drive, and...
>
> -----
> Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.
> VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
> floppy0: WARNING disk change called early
> VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER
> You didn't specify the type of your ufs filesystem
>
> mount -t ufs -o
> ufstype=sun|sunx86|44bsd|old|nextstep|netxstep-cd|openstep ...

> ufs_read_super: bad magic number
> Press L1-A to return to the boot prom
> -----
>
> at which time I'm stuck hitting the power switch, because I have no idea
> how to "Press L1-A" through minicom from my Debian laptop connected to
> the console of the Sparc.

IIRC, ctrl-a f provides stop-A functionality from minicom.

Regarding the rest .. what kind of machine (which type of sparc)?
Where'd you get the CD?  It looks like your boot process is trying to
do an NFS-root boot, which seems odd.

Followups to debian-sparc, I think.

  There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that can do binary
  arithmetic and those that can't.