Re: X or KDE freeze system

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:18:28 +0200
"Cristian Banciu" <Cristian.Banciu@eea.eu.int> wrote:

[Malfunctions using KDE]
> something strange happens. It puts me on the screen to choose country
> and language, I choose Danish and English then I press next. It shows
> me an image to choose the theme for kde and everything freeze. I
> cannot ctrl-alt-f1, ctrl-alt-del, I cannot ssh from another machine.
> Does anybody have any idea why is that happening ?

Yes, it happened once to me.
Check out your X server log file (/var/log/Xfree86.0.log or similar) for
video driver issues. Try issuing a dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
using less color depth (16 bit is OK on my U10) and, if you stille
experience further problems, consider using KDM as session manager for X.

Bye,
Antonello

P.s.: On the same topic: does someone know if Radeonfb has a working
implementation on SPARC in the 2.6-series kernel? Using the latest 2.4,
it gets compiled but (probably because of the VGA BIOS stuff) it's
pretty unusable. No luck with Xfree86, too, as I was expecting. I am
wondering if there's possible to use the VGA BIOS emulation support
used in Bochs (http://bochs.sf.net) to do anything usual with (cheap!)
PCI video cards on Linux/SPARC. I *do* need dual head and graphics
improvement on the U10, and I can't afford Sun hardware :(

--
Antonello <etn@libero.it>