Re: Building custom kernel

Hello,

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Small, Jim wrote:

> I am trying to build a custom kernel under Debian Sparc64 using a recent 2.4
> kernel

I have already built the 2.4.25 kernel successfully on Sparc.
I've 64bit Sparc Ultra also (but only one CPU).
I haven't experienced your problem.

I think the sparc32 style compiling is wrong, because the kernel must be
64bit (your system is 64bit arch, isn't it?).

> I did an apt-get kernel-source-2.4.25 (also tried
If you want to build custom kernel, I suggest that you should download the
source from ftp://ftp.kernel.org or from one of it's mirrors.

Install the egcs64 package (cross compiler) using apt-get.
(It seems to be, that it is already installed on your computer.)

Here is my workflow:

1. Open the Makefile (in kernel's source root dir) with an arbitrary
editor.

2. Look the beginning of this file. here is the variables for executable
programs.

Find the CC (not HOSTCC!!!) It's value is: $(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc
Change it to: sparc64-linux-gcc
(Note: I don't remeber exactly, look the real name from output of
 'dpkg -L egcs64' command)

Note: Change only the CC variable, not the CROSS_COMPILE!

3. Don't forget to run 'make mrproper' first!

4. Run 'make menuconfig'

I think, It have to work...
Jana