Re: Sun Ultra 5, "poweroff" without keyboard (off-topic?)

On 05 Apr 2005 20:42:04 +0200, Sebastian Niehaus
<killedbythoughts@mindcrime.net> wrote:
> Eric Brower <ebrower@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On 04 Apr 2005 20:47:01 +0200, Sebastian Niehaus
> > <killedbythoughts@mindcrime.net> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > i have an Sun Ultra 5 running Debian Sparc. Usually if I want to
> > > switch off a maschine I use the command "poweroff".
> > >
> > > Anyway, on my Sun Ultra 5 this command does not power off the computer
> > > as long as the keyboard is not attached. Starting with the keyboard
> > > pluggend, powering off is enabled as well as the switch at the front
> > > of the maschine.
> >
> > You didn't specify which kernel you are running on your system(s).
>
> Yes. Hm. The Ultra 1 (which powers down) runs 2.4.27, the Ultra 5
> which doesn't runs 2.4.18.
>
> Ooops.
>
> Good idea to habe a look at the kernel versions :-)
>
> > If
> > you have the file /proc/sys/kernel/scons-poweroff make sure the value
> > within is "1".
>
> The Ultra 1 has the value "1", the Ultra 5 (running 2.4.18)
> doesn't. Maybe time to install a new kernel?

I don't recall in which kernel version the change first appeared, but
updating to a more contemporary 2.4.x kernel should provide you with
this functionality.

> > If the file does not exist, or is 0, default behaviour
> > is for shutdown to take you to OBP rather than power-off.
>
> Anyways, it definetely powers down if started with keyboard attached
> (it has been attached during these tests).

That is the expected behavior.  For historical reasons, the kernel did
not power-off systems that were configured with a serial console.
This (relatively) new sysctl value allows the operator to change that
behavior.