Re: Systems which can run on a SS2.

On Sun, 2009-07-26 at 14:38 -0700, Peter Crawford wrote:
> Mon, 25 May 2009 11:29:27 +0200 Joël BERTRAND wrote,
> "Etch worked fine."
>
> Whereas http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/sparc/ch02s01.html.en#sparc-cpus
> states
> "sun4, sun4c, sun4d, sun4m
>     The last Debian release to support sparc32 was Etch, but even then only
>     for sun4m systems. Support for the other 32-bits subarchitectures had
>     already been discontinued after earlier releases."
>
> The Web page is wrong?
I believe the web page is the official position.  The differences
between 32 bit SPARC based machines are not that great (multiply and
divide added in V8 / sun4m, plus (IIRC) one or two of the
synchronisation operations).  Thus it is possible that older machines
could be run using etch or mostly etch.  Plus, without more context I
couldn't be entirely sure which machines Joel is refering to.

> Mon, 25 May 2009 11:29:27 +0200 Joël BERTRAND wrote,
> " ... good results with lenny and 2.6 kernel (only UP and sparcv8 [SS20] ..."
>
> Would UP be Ultra Panther or Ultra Plus?  Not that I
> have either; just for interest.
I suspect it is uni-processor as SS20's could be fitted with 2 (or with
later modules, 4) processors, althought support for this has been iffy
for some time.

> " ... sun4[cdm] stations, you have to use NetBSD 4.0.1 (or 5.0 in UP)."
>
> In http://www.netbsd.org/ports/sparc/
> sun4c is listed as supported.  Absence of reference
> to a release should mean that 5.0 works.
I am under the impression that sun4d and sun4m are effectively supersets
of sun4c, thus 4c support should be sufficient.

> Mon, 25 May 2009 16:31:12 +0100 Martin wrote,
> " ... and remember having an insecure box on the net doesn't just affect
> you; it potentially affects everyone."
>
> You've convinced me.  I'll learn to install NetBSD.

Again, without context, I'm not sure if you're quoting me or what I was
talking about but I guess it's a question of what you want to do with
the machines, an older version of Debian may be sufficient, or maybe
NetBSD.

HTH

Cheers,
 - Martin