Re: virtualization on Sparc architecture?

On Sat, 2011-05-28 at 17:17 -0500, mmejiav wrote:
> 2011/5/27 Martin <inkubus@interalpha.co.uk>:
> > On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 09:32 -0500, mmejiav wrote:
> >> hi
> >> I have a Sun Blade 100 with Solaris 10.
> >> Does Debian for Sparc architecture have a tool for making
> >> virtualization on this? Something like openvz… I search information
> >> about this topic on google but I didn’t find anything
> >> Thanks in advance
> >
> > Linux VServer ( http://linux-vserver.org/ ) has been ported to SPARC and
> > is an "OS level virtualisation" system similar in concept to OpenVZ.  I
> > ran a system that used it for several years with few problems.  At one
> > point Debian shipped VServer enabled kernels for SPARC.
> >
> > Alternatively you may be able to use the cgroup tools to set up
> > something similar using stock kernels.
> >
> > HTH
> >

> hi Martin and thanks for your answer
>
> Rigth now i'm installing debian squeeze on the Blade 100 machine (sparc).
> In the wiki debian (http://wiki.debian.org/SystemVirtualization) I
> found more information about vserver, but the page says
>
> LinuxVserver - Mostly used on servers. Creates multiple isolated
> containers. Will be deprecated in squeeze.
>
> Deprecated on squeeze? then for sparc whats the next virtualization
> tool to be used on Debian systems?

Most of the people who use vserver in commercial systems either patch
their own kernel or use the Bristol wireless Debian packages.  As
development tracks the more recent kernel a Debian/Stable package of
vserver isn't too useful, hence the depreciation.

Cheers,
 - Martin