Re: Debian/SPARC[64]

Hi Mark,

another report, so when not using virtio for drive I'm able to compile few haskell packages which is about a week or so of run. I've seen just one issue when the compilation stopped for about 22 hours and then continued well.

Anyway, as you are dealing with SPARC/Qemu, I'd like to note that I'm a little bit surprised how slow this is in comparison with ARMv8 emulation. Please don't get me wrong! It's a tremendous value to have SPARC/64 emulated at all. It's just a little bit surprise for me since I always first nbench2 emulator and then work with it when the results are kind of acceptable. Basically I get +- similar nbench2 results from running SPARC64 and AArch64 emulation with Linux and nbench2 on top of that, cut:

SPARC64:
MEMORY INDEX        : 3.176
INTEGER INDEX       : 3.640
FLOATING-POINT INDEX: 0.528
Baseline (LINUX)    : AMD K6/233*, 512 KB L2-cache, gcc 2.7.2.3, libc-5.4.38

ARMv8:
MEMORY INDEX        : 2.378
INTEGER INDEX       : 3.249
FLOATING-POINT INDEX: 0.708
Baseline (LINUX)    : AMD K6/233*, 512 KB L2-cache, gcc 2.7.2.3, libc-5.4.38

and yet, it looks like SPARC is more than 7 times slower on compilation of the nbench. I guess it's also slower generally. For your information it takes around 1 minute to compile nbench2 on ARMv8 and more then 7 minutes to compile on SPARC64.

Do you have any idea why this may be so different? Both running the same qemu version and on the same host OS and the same host machine (Solaris 11/xeon e5-2620).

Thanks!
Karel