Re: New sparc64 netboot image available

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 06, 2017 at 04:34:17PM +0100, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> Having a quick look at the tilo patches, it looks like they do the right
> thing which is to take the compressed image obtained via TFTP at
> load-base, use the PROM to allocate and map the relocated kernel/initrd
> image memory (from the ELF headers maybe?), then decompress the binary
> image into the allocated target memory and run it.
>
> Note that this means the compressed image is still subject to the 10MB
> limit, but likely that should be less of a problem these days with
> compressors such as xz.

SILO/TILO currently has only gzip decompressor, so kernel has to be
compressed with gzip. But for initramfs you can use xz, as the kernel
does decompression. And with modular kernel most of the code goes into
initramfs.

10MB shouldn't be an issue - I have made a simple (non-Debian) netinstall
image for my Ultrasparcs and with 4.10 kernel, glibc 2.25, ssh and other
tools and the size is less than 5 MB.

A.