[xviddetect,modconf,task-x-*,task-gnome-*] Install report - Things needing done!

 Boot-floppies: 2.2.15

 `modconf' isn't working - cannot find modules.  The cure was (iirc)
 to go over to vt2 and run:

   cd /lib
   rm -rf modules
   ln -s /target/modules modules
   depmod -a -C /target/etc/modules.conf -b /target

 This is obviously RC, and so are the following, IMHO.

 It runs `anXious', which is very cool.  But I'm offered only `xdm',
 and not `gdm' as a choice for graphical login managers.

 `twm' is installed, even though I deselected it from the `anXious'
 interface, and it became the default window manager, instead of
 `sawmill', the only one I picked from `anXious'.

 After typing:

   apt-get install gdm
   dpkg --purge twm

 ... I got what I wanted.  (Thank you for making `gdm' deinstall
 `xdm'!)  Another problem is that the `gnome-help' was not installed,
 and did not open it's screen like it should the first time I logged
 on.

 I wonder what would happen without `gdm' installed?  I would like it
 very much if the `gnome' packages would override the default
 `XSession' script, so that a first-time `startx' login will bring up
 a `gnome-session' as it should.

 I think these things ought to be fairly simple for the maintainers of
 the relevant packages to fix, and that our release manager should
 usher the updated versions into `frozen' with glee!  These are the
 sort of cosmetic improvements that will really matter to the first
 time Linux user who tries Debian GNU/{Linux,Hurd}.

 W.I.P.
 -----
 I found several buglets in `dbootstrap', and am at work fixing the
 worst of them right now.  (net-fetch resume download is broken) I've
 made the DNS lookup and connect() in netfetch interruptable with
 Ctrl-C, as well as NFS mounts.  This improves usability somewhat in
 situations where the network isn't configured quite right, etc.

 It's very cool to boot with only two diskettes, and install
 everything over the network.  The idepci flavor kernel has the driver
 for the NIC in my test station built in, so even OS and modules can
 be network installed.  People will really enjoy that.

 I have been unable to get NFS install to work.  The test machine
 tries to mount the server's filesystem, and the `mount' command
 hangs.  On the server, it logs that a mount attempt has been made,
 and then immediately logs that the directory has been mounted by the
 other machine, but over there, the `mount' is still sitting there
 waiting for something.  I tried restarting the NFS server, etc, but
 it still does not work.  It may be something to do with the
 2.4.0-test1+ac11 Linux kernel on the server?  YTMAWBK.  NFS install
 was working around `boot-floppies-2.2.{9,10,11}'.  I hope it's not
 broken now.  The identical `mount' command from the shell command
 line on vt2 hangs also, so I don't believe it's a problem with
 `dbootstrap'...  how could it be?

--
A few months in the laboratory often saves several hours at the library.
mailto:karlheg@debian.org (Karl M. Hegbloom)