Re: Booting of PPC Installation on PowerPC/Mac impossible?

Daniel,

I make marginal progress here, but something is still going really wrong. The
make bootable from harddisk option withing dh_bootstrap does not throw the
message not yet possible for powerpc message any more (a typo during fdisk
made the root partition too small). But booting still does not work. Iterating
is pretty tiem consuming, since you have to do the complete base installation
again and again. I see only a floppy disk on the screen after reboot.

Thus, let me describe, what I did. Maybe there is an obvious mistake in this
procedure (due to my inexperience with PPC hardware and open firmware (still
not sure, if this is only a fancier name for BIOS)):

Powermac/9500, SCSI disk.

Booted with boot-floopy-image.hfs and root.bin from the powermac/images-1.44
subdirectory

Run fdisk during dh_bootstrap: Deleted all partitions and run initialize
Made a root partition /dev/sda2

Did the normal install process over the network.

Flawless so far.

Make system rebootable from harddisk (no error message any more)

Make system rebootable from floppy (not yet implemented)

Reboot the System.

I see only the floppy on a blank screen.

Repeat the above procedure.

This time check /targe/etc/quik.conf

The same as the one you attached, except

partition=2
read-only

is added.

only

image=/vmlinuz

is given.

Is there anything, what is obviously wrong/missing?

Is debian-powerpc supposed to be released with potato? If not, debian-testing
can be excluded from the cc.

Thanks.

Rainer.