Re: tar --exclude works with Mandrake but not potato

Thanks, Colin. :)  FYI, I was able to --force-downgrade to tar 1.12-7 from
slink and it seems to work fine.

I guess I'll just use the older version (unless there's a reason not to on
a production server) until the bug is closed.

Cheers.................................

> Matthew Thompson <mattyt@oz.net> wrote:
> >My potato server (ftp/www/mail.mattyt.net) is running potato in one big
> >partition (except for /home/ftp/pub).  The easiest way for me to do
> >periodic backups is to create one big tarball of the whole installation.
> >The way I always did this before was to log in as root, cd to /, and
> >execute a command such as this:
> >
> ># tar --same-owner -czpvf /home/ftp/pub/backups/main.tgz --exclude=proc/*
> >--exclude=tmp/* --exclude=home/ftp/pub/* *
>
> [snip]
>
> >My problem is that the --exclude command no longer works the way it used
> >to.
>
>   http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/59/59829.html
>
> I'll have a look at this, but it's not release-critical so any fix won't
> make it into potato. (Using . instead of * at the end seems to cause
> fewer matching files to be included, but some of them still make it
> through.)
>
> >The short version:  tar --exclude v1.13.17 under Mandrake 7.1 works the
> >way it always has, tar --exclude v1.13.17 under potato doesn't.
>
> Hard to say - maybe they have specific fixes in their version.
>
> >I'm kind of pulling out my hair here, guys (especially since I start a new
> >Network Admin position next week).  Any help you can give to resolve this
> >somewhat bizarre issue would be MUCH appreciated.
>
> You might want to consider using find(1) and --exclude-from instead. If
> you use bash's process substitution capabilities as well, you can write
> something like this (only semi-tested):
>
> # tar --same-owner -czpvf /home/ftp/pub/backups/main.tgz \
> >   --exclude-from <(find /proc) --exclude-from <(find /tmp) \
> >   --exclude-from <(find /home/ftp/pub) .
>
> This can potentially be a lot slower, though, so is only a temporary
> workaround.
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                     [cjw44@flatline.org.uk]
>

> --