potato/kernel-2.2.x NIC module problem

I have an old 486-box with an SMC EtherCard PLUS Elite 16T NIC in it.
This card is detected as WD/8013W by various single-floppy Linuces, and
works fine.

But.

I had slink installed on this box and upgraded to potato via apt-get
dist-upgrade over the net. All fine. Stayed with the stock kernel-2.0.36
because I don't have enough HD to compile a kernel.

I'm about to convert a different production box running an old version
of Red Hat to potato. Decided to grab the June 7 rescue, root, and
driver floppies and do a clean install.

Won't detect my NIC. Can't finish the install ('cause I'm gonna finish
it over the net). This is kernel-2.2.15.

So, back to slink. NIC is fine. Upgrade to potato. NIC is fine (but with
kernel-2.0.36). Install kernel-image-2.2.17. Fine. Reboot. NIC is no
longer detected.

Gets worse.

Reboot with the boot floppy I created after the slink->potato upgrade
(with kernel-2.0.36). Now this one doesn't detect the NIC.

So something is messed up in the modules arena (I'm guessing).

Suggestions? And yes, I have other NICs I could install, but I'd rather
get to the bottom of this.

Cheers,
 Pann
--
geek by nature, Linux by choice                     L I N U X       .~.
                                                    The Choice      /V\