upgrade report

Following a suggestion from Joey Hess on debian-user some time ago,
here's a report on the upgrade process.

I upgraded to frozen on March 16th 2000 and have been following
developments since then more or less regularly. Most recent upgrade
was Thursday June 29th.

I've had no serious problems at any time. Two minor problems seem
worth mentioning:

[1] The move from /usr/info to /usr/share/info confused two of my Info
    Readers  (Emacs20 and Minfo). I fixed this by hand for Emacs20 but
    never managed to fix it for Minfo.

[2] In today's upgrade, I had a problem familiar from postings on
    debian-user. When I ran startx, the server aborted with the
    message:

    X:server socket directory has suspicious ownership, aborting.

    When I deleted /tmp/.X11-unix, the problem disappeared. The new
    directory is associated with the group root rather than with the
    username group, as previously.

System:

GATEWAY E-4200
CPU: PENTIUM II (Deschutes), 400MHz
MEMORY: 96MB
HD: QUANTUM FIREBALL EX6.4A, 6149MB W 418KB CACHE
GRAPHICS CARD: XPERT@WORK AGP 2X (4 MB VIDEO MEMORY)
STANDRAD MICROSOFT KEYBOARD
PS2 MOUSE
ETHERNET CARD: 3COM FAST ETHERLINK XL (3C905B-TX)
SOUND CARD: CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER AUDIO PCI 64D

Thanks everybody---it seems great.

Jim McCloskey