slink_cd v 0.98

I think the script is finished now, at least for i386. I've tested and got
things working fine off two different mirrors. There will be changes to
the default layouts once Philip Charles has finished checking out the
exact list of packages needed for the default install selections at first
installation, but the script itself should not now need to change for
that.

In fact, who maintains the list of packages to go into those selections? I
had a _quick_ look at the boot-floppies source and couldn't find the list.

Anyway, check the script out at

	http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~stevem/DebianCD/

and give me feedback please...!

There is an easy method of adding local/value-add packages for individual
CD vendors if they want to, as was requested by several people. And for
those people who want a working system off just one disc, the most
important main Packages will be clustered on disc number one so it will
work stand alone. Personally I'm recommending that people produce/buy the
full set of CDs, but I can understand otherwise.

I'm now also producing plausible-looking trees for both m68k and alpha,
apart from the fact large numbers of packages (mainly non-free, contrib,
non-US) are simply missing as they haven't been ported yet. I understand
people are working on the main section first, but we need to get the
others done too if we're going to release properly.

And I haven't yet had a chance to even look at sparc or powerpc layouts,
as neither of the mirrors I have access to can hold them at the moment. If
some sparc/powerpc people can try things out, please do so.

And finally - I have bootable support for i386 sorted out now, and a
little information about some of the other architectures, but no complete
instructions. In simple terms, what do I need to do for the others to make
bootable CDs, or where this isn't possible to make them as easy to use as
possible? Please remember, I have no experience with any other arches
running Linux, so please be as complete as possible in any instructions
you can give me. Thanks.

--
Steve McIntyre, CURS CCE, Cambridge, UK.         stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk
  Getting a SCSI chain working is perfectly simple if you remember that there