Re: Slink _minimum_ install from 2.1.4 disks

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999 03:18:45 -0700 (MST), Bruce Sass <bsass@ecn.ab.ca> said:
> ... no.  Although I can't help thinking of ways that the existing
> distribution could be made more scalable.  e.g.: give the user the
> option of deleting unwanted kernel modules before the drivers are
> configured; allow for multiple `base' archives and/or .deb's during
> the installation; optionally delete unrequired timezone, locale and
> other such files before the system is configured, ideally before
> they even make it to the HD.

Well, it's hard to maintain the integrity of the package and yet strip
out stuff.  I'm not sure how that would/should interact with the
packaging system.

> Hmmm, how does one go about getting the install script changed to
> include the above features?  Aside from requiring a few extra
> keystrokes/clicks, I don't see how it would affect any users besides
> those with small systems or no ppp access to the net.

I guess you could take two approaches.  One would be to modify the
packages themselves.  The other would be to mess around with the
boot-flopppies package.  Just download the package, read the readme,
start hacking, and submit patches to the BTS.