xterm not reading /etc/X11/Xresources/xterm

Howdy All,
I have just installed and configured the latest mirror(well 4 days old
now) and boot disks. install went amazingly smooth using apt, kudo's to all.

I haven't seen this one reported yet or found it in the bug lists so I
thought I should say something.

I uncommented the 2 lines in the new xterm file in the Xresources
directory so that xterm would look like a VC but nothing happened. Am I
missin something ? Can anybody else confirm this?

Frisco Rose	rosef@eou.edu

"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."    Isaac Asimov, Foundation
Summary Information:
  Name:		Frisco Rose
  Source:	ftp.us.debian.org
  Method:  	3 1/2 Floppy rescue disk, other images on a mounted
 		partition
  Machine:	486 DX/2-66MHz, 32MB, 1.1GB & 1.6GB IDE, 33k modem,
		MOZART sound card, Cirque Track Pad (ms, 2 button),
		ATI Graphics Xpression 2MB, 14" SVGA non-interlaced.

Notes: none.

Here is my partition table:

Disk /dev/hda: 1033.60 Mb
	/dev/hda1 Pri ext2fs 9.85 M 	on /boot
	/dev/hda2 Pri ext2fs 1023.75 M 	on /
Disk /dev/hdb: 1667.54 Mb
	/dev/hdb1 Pri FAT-16 200.82 M	on /fat16
	/dev/hdb2 Pri SWAP 64.97 M	as swap partition
	/dev/hdb3 Pri ext2fs 1401.75 M	on /home