Re: NFS servers on potato

> > This doesn't seem to be a file locking problem, though.  Every client that
> > attempt to mount gets a "permission denied" message.
> ok that's a different error. Anything in the logfiles?

<thunk> [Eric bashes his head against the edge of the desk in a vain attempt
to impress the first rule of system administration: check the log files]

Yes.  There is an entry in daemon.log.

Jul  1 18:30:43 lbscissors mountd[198]:
     NFS mount of /home attempted from 130.87.218.140
Jul  1 18:30:43 lbscissors mountd[198]:
     NFS client nurock.kek.jp tried to access /home
Jul  1 18:30:43 lbscissors mountd[198]:
     Blocked attempt of 130.87.218.140 to mount /home

In the previous configuration, /etc/exports contained an export of
/u/lbscissors, and the clients attempted to mount /u/lbscissors, and this
always succeded, despite the fact that /u/lbscissors is actually just a
symlink to /home.

I've found this configuration useful (rather than just explicitly mounting
/home) in the case where one server dies due to some serious hardware problem.
The disk can then be quickly transplanted into another server, a CNAME
entry added into DNS, and then the clients become happy again without needing
any modification.

I guess the potato mountd has been adjusted to not allow the exportation of
directories via a symlink.  I changed the exportation of /u/lbscissors to
/home in /etc/exports and the mount succeded, even though the clients are
still attempting to mount via the symlink.

I have a bunch of servers to modify now...

Thanks for your help,

Eric