install report for Debian 2.1 and some comments on installation profiles

Hi all,
I hope this is a useful installation report, if not, I apologise in advance.
This report is primarily about my experiences with package selection.
[I definitely apologise for the length in advance.]

I just tried installing Debian 2.1 from an official 4-CD set that I bought
from CheapBytes.

I am installing on a 486 with only 600 MB so I knew that I had some choices
to make.  Also, I have 64 MB of RAM installed but for some reason seem only
able to successfully use the first 32 MB [even though all 64 pass the POST].

After the usual problems getting started, I reached the stage where I'm
supposed to select packages.
I chose the dial-up networking installation profile.

The summary says that it takes under 600 MB.  In fact, I ran out of disk
space.  While trying to salvage the install, I noticed the following things:
1) There were three versions of Emacs installed [emacs19, emacs20, and xemacs]
2) There were several chess programs installed.  [I didnt count how many]
3) The sound support was by default not installed in the kernel.

As far as point 3 is concerned, I think it's not likely that Linux can
take over the world if everybody has to compile their own kernel to get sound.
[This may be a moot point - if so, I apologise - I should be more up-to-date
on what's happening out there.]

As far as points 1 and 2, I think this is pretty bad.  I've read about the
Noosphere and I don't want to encourage that Debian favour one portion of it
over another.   But installing multiple versions of these things [editors and
chess programs in this example] is not, in my opinion, reasonable for new
users.  We should have a scheme where a new user can at least get past the
first part of the installation quickly just to see that everything needed works
together.  Maybe one chess program and one version of emacs [I use xemacs but
favour emacs for the purposes of this 'fast' install].

When I first tried Debian, I started from the 5[6?] floppy set.  I was
pleasantly surprised to find that I had a working Linux installation with
some reasonably large amount of functionality installed and in working
order.  I suggest that a phase-I install should get a minimal set going - even
for CD and other types of installs.  That
way the user doesn't have to wait for hours for 3D-chess to be installed before
he goes and rolls a new kernel which he then accidentally installs incorrectly
necessitating a complete reinstall. [That's not quite what has happened to me -
yet.]

In a general note, it seems to me that these 'profiles' are the most visible
part of the installation system [once you get beyond the usual difficulties].
They need some work but promise to be one of the most appealing aspects of a
Debian install.  I know I always look forward to choosing a profile when I'm
re-installing Debian.   :)

I propose that  Dselect should have an extra step which confirms that all
packages in some profile are present.  I envision that you can choose
this extra option and what it will do for you is to check whether or not your
system as currently configured lacks anything that is required for some
type of functionality.  For example, you should be able to go in there and
say, "Please check for me if I have everything I need to run a sound card."
Dselect should then inform you that, possibly, your kernel is not configured
with sound, or that you have no sound modules, or something like that.
Ideally, Dselect should present you with a list of packages that it suggests
you need to achieve the desired functionality.  Here, the power of Debian's
dependency checking would shine.  If you said you wanted complete gaming setup,
Dselect would suggest games packages and also inform you that you needed some
ancillary tools to support those packages as well.

In short, I think the idea of a 'fast' install, even for CD or net-based
installs is extremely appealing.  I don't like to spend hours installing lots
of packages before making a critical discovery that obviates all the work.
[perhaps such a profile is already available - I was unable to check. I can't
seem to reach that profile selection screen unless I reinstall Debian.]

-ketan