Re: Upgrade reports (?)

    Rainer> I am wondering, why there are no upgrade reports from Slink to Potato on the
    Rainer> list. Is it because nobody dares to do it or is it just running that smooth,
    Rainer> that there is no need for further testing?

    Rainer> I would like to grade up our webserver rather today than tomorrow to potato
    Rainer> and kernel 2.2 (because of improved NFS interaction with solaris). Has anybody
    Rainer> tried an

    Rainer> apt-get -f dist-upgrade

    Rainer> before with ftp-server as access method?

 I just mailed an upgrade report...  I neglected to mention that I did
 the upgrade by using `dselect', apt method, chose packages,
 deinstalled some we didn't need, then exitted and used `apt-get
 dselect-upgrade'.

 It took several iterations to get it all in place, as `apt' exits
 when there are errors it cannot deal with.  That is, I believe,
 correct behaviour.  It allowed me to fix what was wrong, using `dpkg'
 when required, then run `apt-get dselect-upgrade' again, often after
 a (perhaps unnecessary?) `dpkg --configure --pending'.

 I think it took four or five runs through the sequence to get down to
 0 upgraded 0 installed and 0 removed.