Re: Status of Potato?

[ moved from debian-release ]

On 29 Jan 2000, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl> writes:
>
> > Would this work:
> >
> >   On monday (or whenever you're ready) we start a one-week test of
> > the boot-floppies, during which time nothing changes in the base
> > system.
>
> Given that it seems that the majority of remaining problems in
> boot-floppies are RC bugs in base pkgs, I don't know whether this
> would be productive or not.  Let me look in more detail at people's
> results with 2.2.5 and get back to you ...  Perhaps we can get these
> base issues and 2.2.6 burned prior to Monday.

I had all sorts of problems when trying a custom kernel with the compact
images on some hardware at work.  I held off reporting the problems when I
heard 2.2.6 was coming out, but maybe I should report them anyway.

1. keyboard couldn't be configured, I beleve there was a problem writing
to /tmp.
2. the driver install failed, probably because I was using a different
kernel, the screen never said why.
3. dhcp failed, didn't give a reason.  I manually configured the network
card and was able to ping from another machine.
4. netfetch failed, perhaps the network never was properly configured.  I
stoped here with a lack of floppies.

I think it all is caused by my custom kernel.  It was built using the same
config file I posted a while back.  I feel that I'm lacking some required
options and the documentation on building a custom kernel may be out of
date (the readme on the rescue disk).

Hopefully tonight I can try a generic install at home which rarely gives
me problems.  If things are hurried, I have a spare harddrive for my
laptop that I can give a try on, but a co-worker will want to use that in
a few days.

Brandon

    Brandon Mitchell  *  http://public.surfree.com/bmitch
  bmitch@surfree.com  *  ICQ: 30631197