Re :- Re: Install Report II (The Revenge; bf 3.0.7 (beta); Acer Laptop; floppy/basedebs)

Hi,

> A valid passwordless system is a _very_ rare case.

Who decides what "valid" is ?  I suspect that there are a lot of
machines out there that only have root passwords because they are forced
to by install.  From man 5 passwd (on a Mandrake 7 box (sorry !!!) ) :-

	In  the good old days there was no great problem with this
	general read  permission.   Everybody  could   read   the
	encrypted  passwords, but  the	hardware  was too slow to crack
	a well-chosen  password, and  moreover, the  basic assumption
	used  to be that of a friendly user-community.

Shakes head and tuts and wonders what the world is coming to ;-)

My own particular gripe is that the default install puts em*cs on so I
have to go into dselect and turn it off before I do the install.

Regards,

Dave
mail/debian/testing/2001-07-04.tx                              deb-testing
| Dave Restall,       IIRC Limited, PO Box 46, Skelton, Cleveland, TS12 2GT. |
| Tel. +44 (0) 1287 653003 Mob. +44 (0) 7973 831245 Fax. +44 (0) 1287 652546 |
| email : dave@iirc.net       dave@restall.net     Web : http://www.iirc.net |
| Alexander Hamilton started the U.S. Treasury with nothing - and that       |
| was the closest our country has ever been to being even.                   |
|     -- The Best of Will Rogers                                             |