X works OK, but most window managers, browsers seg fault

Hey all,

I stuffed most of it into the subject, but here goes.

I'm running Sarge on i386, along with XFree 4.3 from
http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/xfree86/i386/.

It's been running fine, until a week or so ago. (Not precisely sure of
the date, sorry). Anyway, after updating a pile of packages, the
following all quit with seg faults:

  Mozilla (regular and firebird)
  Opera 7.2
  gdm
  icewm and sawfish.

I can start X by itself with xinit, and mwm works. Assorted games,
gimp 1.2, and other apps appear to work OK without complaint.

Since I haven't seen anything about this, I assume I've shot my own
foot somehow; has anyone else seen this, or have suggestions?

  Thanks,
  Tim