Re: Kernel panic using network

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 12:51:14PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Asbjørn Sæbø wrote:
> > I installed (or rather, am trying to install) Debian Sarge on an ASUS
> > 5800C laptop.  I was using the beta-2 of debian-installer.
> > [Network card problems]

> > So I downloaded the 2.4.23-kernel .deb, transferred it to
> > the laptop on a CD, and installed it.  Now I may configure the network
> > card and the network, using ifconfig and route.

> That is very shady and I'm suprised it worked at all. Why don't you try
> a daily build of the installer, those use the 2.4.24 kernel.

I was not aware that was an option.  (Are the daily builds supposed to
be stable enough for that, by the way?)
And now that I have a (seemingly) functioning base system installed, I
am a bit reluctant to purge that and start from scratch again.

However, what I ended up doing was to compile a 2.4.25 from source
downloaded from kernel.org.  That seems to work quite well for now.

What I would like to do now, is to run the "network configuration part"
of the install.  (Which wasn't done during the install, since the
network card wasn't functioning.)  Is that at all possible?

Is there something else I can do to the same effect?  (Reinstalling
netbase, as I was advised, does not seem to do any such configuration.)

(I can of course configure the network by hand, but I am afraid there
are things that should be done that I forget.)

With kind regards
Asbjørn