Re: Hardware detection question/problem

Can you use modprobe to load your missing modules?

TJ
On Sun, 2004-04-25 at 19:31, Chuck Bearden wrote:
I have a Sarge box that I installed with the beta 2 installer.  Am I
correct in believing that /etc/init.d/discover (invoked via a symlink
during boot) is supposed to detect hardware and load the drivers
automatically?  Is there a way to make the system perform the same
hardware detection now that it did when I installed?

I ask because after a recent (last few days) upgrade of a bunch of
packages, both sound and networking were unavailable after a reboot.
When I run '/etc/init.d/discover start' manually as root, it echoes
'Discovering hardware:' and nothing else.  There is no change to the
list of modules from 'lsmod', i.e. neither sound nor networking modules
are loaded.  'lspci' shows my sound and networking devices on the bus.

I don't remember exactly what packages were upgraded last time, but they
*may* have included the 'discover' package.

Any pointers would be welcome.  I'd like to keep the hardware detection
as simple and consistent as possible.

Thanks,
Chuck Bearden