cannot unhide vfat after upgrade to testing

I recently upgraded from woody to sarge on my laptop.
It did not work as smooth as it should do.

I am left with two problems:

I had the appearently well-known problem, that lilo
hung at LI....
(probably my mistake because I forgot to run lilo after the upgrade)
I got around this by booting with a sarge installation disc and running
lilo from there.
Now I have another, probably connected problem:
I have a small vfat-partition at /dev/hda2 to copy
data from the NTFS-XP partion to the linux system.
However, everytime I boot into XP the vfat partion
is somhow hidden!
I tried to unhide many, many times in XP using Partion Magic
and in Linux using cfdisk. I can of course mount the
vfat partion under linux, but XP always hides it.