Torrents dying at nearly the right file size?

I'm trying to download Debian test images for PPC, using bittorrent.  The
small image comes through fine.  The large images both come out at about the
right size (I can't get any more specific on what size they should be than
"4.3GB" and "4.4GB"), but BitTorrent declares that they are dying.  Their md5
sums are incorrect, and I cannot get BitTorrent to continue them.  The file
check gets past about 95% without problems, then BT tries to connect to the
tracker a few times, eventually asserting that the image died 6 times and has
been added to the dead list.

This has happened twice, leading me to suspect that there is some specific
cause for this.  I originally thought it was because of a recent update to the
torrents that happened right around when my first download failed; now I
don't think that's it.

The client is the generic python bittorrent, running on NetBSD.  I've never
had problems with it before, although I am not sure I've previously used it on
files over 4GB.

-s