loopback-interface problem in etch

Hello,

I have installed etch from the scratch on my i386 (over the net with debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso from CD-boot) . My Problem ist, that I can't configure my loopback interface correctly and as an consequence that I can't start and stop the portmapper. Here the error-message from "ifup lo":

SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
lo: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
lo: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
Failed to bring up lo.

I have tried to install etch on my notebook and desktop. Always the same error. With eth0 interface (the only interface card) I did not have problems.
Can someone help me?

Dietrich