Re: The Ghost of Gooch (or why devfs grokked my Sarge to Etch upgrade)

On Sunday 24 September 2006 10:44, Michael D. Norwick wrote:
> I had a need to get OpenOffice 2.0 on my main workstation.  This PC had
> been happily running 'Sarge' for at least 2 years.
> I read several 'Sarge to Etch' howto's, (no problems encountered - of
> course!) backed up to tape and ran apt-get update, apt-get
> dist-upgrade.  I was on kernel 2.6.8-2-686, and this is where my issue
> starts.
>
> apt-get warned of several package issues with xorg and some libs but
> went forward to completion.  Before rebooting I chose to install
> linux-2.6.16.2.  It appeared to install all of the correct modules,
> sysutils, and libs but when I finally did reboot, kernel 2.6.16.2
> started to boot but stopped in the middle of setting up devices.  The
> one error message I kind of saw said that /dev/hda3 (my root device)
> could not be found.  Then initramfs/busybox halted the init and it just
> sat there.  I had a shell but no prompt and no access to the drives.
> This machine has /boot and /root on primary partitions in ext3 and the
> rest of the partitions in lvm in xfs.  The loader is grub.
> I then punched it out and chose my old Sarge kernel.
<snip>

I'm going to take a shot in the dark based on a vague recollection of
another thread.

IIRC the kernel detects/names devices differently.  Some device names may
have changed.  I don't remember the details, but what used to be hda might
now be called hdb or hdc or sda or sdb etc.  If you have more than 4
ide/sata ports also try hde, hdf, sde, sdf etc.

If this doesn't help, I suggest you repost to -user, as this it will get a
larger response there.

HTH
Andrew