Re: The Ghost of Gooch (or why devfs grokked my Sarge to Etch upgrade)

Andrew Vaughan wrote:
> On Sunday 24 September 2006 10:44, Michael D. Norwick wrote:
>
>> I had a need to get OpenOffice 2.0 on my main workstation.  This PC had
>> been happily running 'Sarge' for at least 2 years.
>> I read several 'Sarge to Etch' howto's, (no problems encountered - of
>> course!) backed up to tape and ran apt-get update, apt-get
>> dist-upgrade.  I was on kernel 2.6.8-2-686, and this is where my issue
>> starts.
>>
>> apt-get warned of several package issues with xorg and some libs but
>> went forward to completion.  Before rebooting I chose to install
>> linux-2.6.16.2.  It appeared to install all of the correct modules,
>> sysutils, and libs but when I finally did reboot, kernel 2.6.16.2
>> started to boot but stopped in the middle of setting up devices.  The
>> one error message I kind of saw said that /dev/hda3 (my root device)
>> could not be found.  Then initramfs/busybox halted the init and it just
>> sat there.  I had a shell but no prompt and no access to the drives.
>> This machine has /boot and /root on primary partitions in ext3 and the
>> rest of the partitions in lvm in xfs.  The loader is grub.
>> I then punched it out and chose my old Sarge kernel.
>>
> <snip>
>
> I'm going to take a shot in the dark based on a vague recollection of
> another thread.
>
> IIRC the kernel detects/names devices differently.  Some device names may
> have changed.  I don't remember the details, but what used to be hda might
> now be called hdb or hdc or sda or sdb etc.  If you have more than 4
> ide/sata ports also try hde, hdf, sde, sdf etc.
>
> If this doesn't help, I suggest you repost to -user, as this it will get a
> larger response there.
>
> HTH
> Andrew

What a long strange trip it's been.  Thank you for your reply and I will
go to 'user' should I have further
issues.  I ended up blowing up a raid card, then memtest failed a ram
board which unknowingly,
caused me several long nights, delivering corrupted files to an already
confused system.  It's up now.
My data's been restored and everything appears to be running okay.
Once, I actually got the system to
a KDE desktop using dpkg overrides before I finally figured out the
knobs for the new apt (and, of course
the memory problem).  The last install I did yesterday grabbed all my
packages from 'cerias' without complaint.

Thanks Again

Michael