Re: [install AMD64] ICH8/ESB2 Hardware RAID support on "testing"

Proniewski Patrick <patrick.proniewski@univ-lyon2.fr> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On a brand new server I have an ICH8/ESB2 chipset onboard. It features
> RAID 0,1,10,5 capability. Unfortunately, if a create a RAID  volume
> into the chipset BIOS, this RAID volume remains unseen from  the
> "testing" install CD, and the installer will see all 4 HD like  there
> is no RAID at all.
> The server BIOS allows me to load either Intel code or Adaptec code to
> build my RAID, but none of them works with "testing".
>
> Is there any way to workaround this and to make a RAID volume usable
> by the debian installer ? Any idea is welcome.
>
> the server: <http://supermicro.com/products/system/1U/6015/SYS-6015P-
> TR.cfm>
> dmesg output: <http://patpro.net/~patpro/dmesg.txt>
>
> thanks,
>
> Patrick PRONIEWSKI

You don't want to do this. Linux can emulate most pseudo raids but the
better solution is to use linux software raid. It is better tested and
supported and is hardware independent. Imagine your mainboard failing
and you can't read your pseudo raid on the new board anymore.

MfG
        Goswin