Re: update-updmap questions/issues

From: "C.M. Connelly" <cmc@debian.org>
Subject: update-updmap questions/issues
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 14:54:46 -0800

> Atsuhito,

Hi, it's really nice to see you again!

> I'm packaging the CM-Super fonts, and taking advantage of your
> update-updmap script to make it easier (thanks!).
>
> I have noticed one small problem, however.
>
> In the manpage, you say
>
>    Note 10foo.cfg should be a configuration file and be renamed at
>    "remove" to something like 10foo.bak and be removed at "purge"
>    in postrm.
>
> Following that advice leads to some issues with the package system
> during reinstalls (``upgrades'', reinstalls in place, or removals
> and reinstallations).
>
> When the package is removed, the system assumes that all of its
> conffiles are left intact on the system.  Our postrm script
> renames the file so it isn't seen by update-updmap, but the system
> doesn't know that.  When the package is reinstalled, the system
> checks its records, which claim that the conffile is still
> present, and doesn't reinstall the conffile.

I suspect you might confused with configuration file and
conffile.

My intention is 10foo.cfg should be a configuration file
but NOT a conffile, so system (or dpkg) didn't know 10foo.cfg
nor 10foo.bak anyway.

>    1. Ignoring your advice in the manpage, removing the code that
>       renames the file from the postrm, and allowing the useless
>       lines to remain in /etc/texmf/updmap.cfg.
>
>    2. Adding code to the postinst to check to be sure that the
>       configuration file is actually present, and to rename the
>       .bak file to .cfg if necessary.
>
>    3. Modifying the postinst and postrm scripts to generate and
>       remove (or rename) the configuration file rather than
>       including it as a conffile.
>
>    4. Getting dpkg fixed so that it can actually tell if the file
>       is present on the system with the name it's supposed to
>       have.
>
> I'm leaning toward option 3 -- I already generate the
> configuration file in the debian/rules script, and could pop it
> into /usr/share/cm-super as an ``example'' file (that could be
> copied intact to /etc/texmf/updmap.d if the configuration file was
> missing).

My original intetion was 3 (or 2 if you mean configuration
file correctly).

In short, my intention was; 10foo.cfg should be generated
in postinst if it didn' exist yet, and renamed 10foo.bak
in postrm at "remove" and removed at "pruge".  Further,
as you pointed out, if 10foo.bak was found then it should
be renamed as 10foo.cfg at "install" (or "upgrade" too?)
in postinst (before generation of 10foo.cnf).

At least, the current manpage didn't mention the last half
of the above yet.

> I would appreciate any thoughts you (or Julian, or Christoph, or
> anyone else following debian-tetex-maint) have to offer on this
> topic.  Presumably whatever we come up with could be used as a
> guideline by anyone considering packaging fonts for use with TeX.
> No matter what, though, I think the manpage should be changed.

Yes, manpage at present is very temporary and should be
much elaborated.

Best regards,			2003-2-12(Wed)

 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@debian.org>
 Department of Math., Tokushima Univ.