Re: lmodern fonts and sarge

From: Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr>
Subject: Re: lmodern fonts and sarge
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:01:50 +0100

> Now, how does it relate to the problem at hand?

Ah, I didn't intend to object packaging lmodern, but
I intended to explain that, generally speaking, additional
TeX related packages could cause a preoblem (even a serious
one) to tetex packages.

And I believe I've not enough knowledge on lmodern
to say it is good or bad to package it.  (But, perhaps,
I've a fairy more knowledge on CJK TrueType fonts issue
than most other members, because I'm a Japanese.)

> Please calm down. Saying there is a problem in a package is not
> equivalent to blaming its maintainer. Should we stop filing bug reports
> because it might offense the maintainers? Come on!

No that is not my intention at all ;)  As I said in my previous
email, it is almost impossible to realize all changes (or new
features) of tetex only by ourselves and it is very common that
we recognize many of them through bug report, I know it well.

> If it appears that the consensus is that lmodern should not be included
> because it might cause problems to tetex packages, then so be it. Write

As I said in above, I didn't object to upload lmodern.  I'd
like to leave its decision to european members.

> Well. I would just be a bit bitter, since as you can infer from my
> previous mail, I worked very hard to produce a _good_ package really
> quickly so that it can be included in sarge. And when I write _good_, I
> mean it. I've been extremely careful when writing the maintainer scripts
> so that they are idempotent and manage the configuration file
> /etc/texmf/updmap.d/10lmodern in a fully Policy-compliant way. And the
> mental process of getting them right is thoroughly documented:

> I didn't start the thread simply claiming I was going to package the
> thing. Just asked what could be done to get these fonts in sarge, and
> offered to do the work if that was required to achieve this goal.
> Perhaps I didn't wait for enough comments. But I must really work on
> other things next month and the package had to hit unstable very quicky
> to be tested a little bit before sarge, so I started with the first few
> positive comments.

Personally and restricting lmodern only, I'm positive.

Regards,		   2004-1-31(Sat)

 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@debian.org>
 Department of Math., Univ. of Tokushima