Re: Location of documentation

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 12:04:00AM +0200, Ralf Stubner wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 21:56 +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > Ouch - why is the teTeX documentation now in /usr/share/doc/tetex-doc
> > rather than /usr/share/doc/texmf?  That seems like a gratuitous and
> > confusing change.  I presume that it's because of the texlive
> > packages.  Could we at least have a symlink in /usr/share/doc/texmf to
> > the new docs?
>
> Why do you find this confusing? I find the current setup quite nice and
> symmetric:
> [...]
>
> But then I almost never directly search for documentation. Typically I
> use 'texdoc' for this, which hides the exact location. And if I search,
> I typically start from TEXMF/doc with TEXMF adjusted to the source of
> the package.
>
> During which types of usage do you have problems? What could be
> improved?

As a user, I don't really care so much where the macro files are
stored, but I know that the documentation has "always" lived in
/usr/share/doc/texmf.  I didn't know where to look when it vanished.
I rarely use texdoc.

I suggest a symlink to tetex-doc from /usr/share/doc/texmf, and
moving tetex from /usr/share/doc/texmf to /usr/share/doc/tetex-doc.

   Julian