Re: TL2012 status 2012-02-28

Hi Frank,

On Do, 01 Mär 2012, Frank Küster wrote:
> Ah, sorry, I noticed the error.  There are no binaries for i386 there,

Thanks for building, see other email.

> > Why are you strongly *against* transition away form it?
>
> One the one hand, I fear that things might break (where "things" are
> most problably other TeX-related packages).  On the other hand

What for example? Which other package is tinkering with texmf.cnf?
ANd anyway, *most* packages have to be rebuild anyway for the new
updmap.cfg handling in dh_installtex.

> > I would propose a adical approach: move everything into a
> > DISABLED dir and tell the admin he should move changes to a new
> > texmf.cnf.
>
> ... I fear having to argue with people who believe that this violates
> "changes must be preserved upon upgrade" in Policy.

Honestly, sometimes one has to break with that. ANd we are not the only
ones. I have often seen local config files changed and everything
dropped. Giving a warning is enough for my taste.

> > Come on, *nobody* changes texmf.cnf anyway, why keep it there?!?!
>
> See e.g. #656180

Yes, and that is now *MUCH* easier!! No ucf, no pain, no upgrade
warning, nothing. Simply
	echo "pool_size = 3250000" >> /etc/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
and that it is ...

> shell_escape = f
> shell_escape_commands =
> openout_any = p
> openin_any = a

Same here, much easier to configure now. After that the local
texmf.cnf file *ONLY* contains these lines, which makes it *MUCH*
clearer what has been changed.

We have *very* good experiences with this approach in upstream TeX Live,
where we ship <DEST>/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf which we update now and then,
and the installer writes changes into <DEST>/texmf.cnf and only
very few changes are in there, and they are preserved.

Best wishes

Norbert
TWOMILEBORRIS (n.) A popular Ease European outdoor game in which the
first person to reach the front of the meat queue wins, and the losers
have to forfeit their bath plugs.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff