Re: TL2012 and paper config

> Hi Frank, hi all,
>
> I would like to propose some changes to the paperconf stuff ...
> you know I am horrible.
>
> You did hard work to include it in texconfig, but texconfig is going
> to disappear ... we don't see any use for it anyway, most things
> are done in tlmgr now.

Okay, understood.

> Now, there is also paper handling in tlmgr and that is much better:
> $ tlmgr xdvi paper --list
> a4
> c4
> $ tlmgr pdftex paper --list
> a4
> letter
> $
>
> etc etc and one can set paper size, too.

Looks good!

> The code is quite easy, from tlmgr.pl:
[...]
>     } else { # tlmgr paper {a4|letter} => do it.
>       return if !check_on_writable();
>       TeXLive::TLPaper::paper_all($texmfsysconfig,$newpaper);
>     }
[...]
> I can easily create a very simple perl script that does the same without
> tlmgr, actually only the use ... statements are missing.
>
> Would that be integrable into this?

There is only one "problem": It's a regression that only a4 and letter
are available.

However, I'm inclined to say:  Let's do it like this.  If people start
actually complaining that they want other paper sizes to be
configurable, we can always add more complex code.

If we have to do that, I'd adapt TLPaper.pm - it has all the information
already for xdvi and it shouldn't be hard to change that into a hash
list and cat the strings together for xdvi, pdftex etc. from that list.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Sprecher B90/Grüne OV Miltenberg und Umgebung