lmodern-Installation

Dear debian TeX maintainers,

I'm sorry if this mail should go to bug reports directly, I'm trying it here first.

I newly installed a laptop with texlive from debian stable (jessie) and some packages I usually install manually (to /usr/local/share/texmf) as I need more recent versions. I did this over the years on several PCs already, so I am not totally new to the procedure.

But on this laptop for some reason the debian lmodern package did not work (apt-get install lmodern -- no manual changes). So this example file:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[german]{babel}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage{lmodern}
\begin{document}
Test
\end{document}

threw errors on me:

kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+0/600 --dpi 600 rm-lmr10

mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for rm-lmr10. mktexpk: perhaps rm-lmr10 is missing from the map file.

kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.

After some debugging I figured out that the lm.map is not enabled, so after I manually did 'updmap-sys --enable Map=lm.map' it was working fine. Before I tried several times to reinstall or purge and install newly the debian lmodern package, but it was of no avail. For some reason the files in /var/lib/tex-common/fontmap-cfg/texmf/ were not included by update-updmap, it seems. So the TeX Gyre fonts were also only working after enabling the map files manually. update-updmap and updmap-sys are running through without bigger error messages.

Do you have any idea why the lmodern installation is not working? Is there any further info you need?

Best regards,
Philipp