Unstripped cross-compilers?

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=783876 explains that
cc1 is deliberately unstripped in gcc-5, so that verbose backtraces
are given on ICEs. That seems fair enough.

Is this still appropriate for cross-compilers? The packages go from
being 5MB to 23MB each. Multiplied by each front-end and architecture
we do end up with an awful lot of fat packages.

IME ICEs are normally researched in the native toolchains, so I think
we should probably stick to normal stripped binaries for the
cross-toolchains. Does anyone disagree and think that this is
sufficiently important/useful that it's worth all the archive space?

Is there already a variable/knob to twiddle to turnthe stripping back
on, or do we need a patch to do this for the cross-compilers (I've
not looked yet)?

Wookey
http://wookware.org/